By Katie Ryan, UGA Student
Welcome to Athens! A southern town with its own unique flair just 70 miles from Atlanta, which can only be described as ‘classic. “The Classic City,” as many refer to it, is much more than just the home to Sanford Stadium and the Georgia Bulldogs. Athens is home to REM, The B-52s, and John Mayer even recorded his first music video here! There are always a million and one things happening in Athens, but here is an Athens student guide with a couple of my favorite spots!
- Located on the edge of downtown Athens, The Georgia Theatre has incredible live music in an intimate venue! The theatre hosts a ton of national, big name acts, as well as local, smaller bands across all genres.
UGA North Campus
- Arguably the prettiest part of Georgia’s campus. It is located right on the edge of downtown, so an easy walk to anything in ATH. North Campus is the oldest part of the university and is home to the original university buildings.
- The arch is the symbol of the University of Georgia. Whenever you see anything about UGA, the arch is what you will see. You’ll definitely need to take a photo beside (not under!) it. The conspiracy is that if you walk under it before you graduate, you will not graduate from the university in 4 years. Not worth the risk.
- SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY it’s SATURDAY! Nothing out there compares to a Saturday in Athens with 93K of your closest friends! There is no other football stadium that literally plays between the hedges. It is an experience that everybody needs to partake in, and no Athens student guide would be complete without mentioning Sanford Stadium. I might be a bit biased, but take my word for it. You won’t be sorry.
- This social area is home to the majority of sororities and fraternities on campus, but also is chockfull of quintessential southern antebellum homes. Milledge Ave is the best place to take a nice long run/walk on, if it’s a nice day.
Last Resort Grill
- An Athens staple that can’t be beat! This restaurant has amazing food and desserts. The salmon and grits are a fan favorite, but the best part about the experience is the desserts that they get daily from a local bakery. Oh wow.
- A crepe bar!! Might sound strange but you MUST try the Buffalo Chicken Crepe or the Chicken Tchops. Pauley’s is a great place to get a drink, and on Thursdays you’ll find all the girls there for lady’s night and half off wine!
Taqueria Del Sol
- Ask anyone: Taq is always the answer. Tacos, cheese dip, and margaritas. That’s all I need to say.
- If you want a true southern breakfast, get on over to Mama’s Boy! Although, be prepared to wait because it always seems like all of Athens has the same idea. But I promise that the biscuits are worth the wait.
My Personal Favorites:
Rooftop of The Georgia Theatre
- When the weather is nice out, everyone is there. The rooftop boasts an amazing view of downtown Athens on top of an iconic Georgia venue. Not to mention, it’s such a fun atmosphere and great live music too.
South Kitchen and Bar
- “Southern cooking with a modern twist.” 101% sure that you have to get the Fried Green Tomato Grilled Cheese!!!! Located in an old Georgian hotel, South is a favorite of locals and visitors alike.
- Hands down one of the best shops in Athens. At Heery’s you can find brands like Millie, Rag and Bones, Frame, Tory Burch, Skull Cashmere, J-brand, and Tibi.
- Snuggled right up next to the Georgia Theatre, Clarke’s is the perfect place to get a burger and watch any sporting event or grab one of their plethora of original drinks before heading to a concert at the theatre.
So, whenever you get a chance, head on down and experience the Classic City for yourself. ATH will not disappoint! I promise.
If you want to see what other students recommend in Athens or in other cities around the world, be sure to check out Rayka and easily explore student favorites!